Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Trying to Stay Patient

The days seem to go by more slowly now.  I have completed seven weeks of bed rest and I am willing to admit I want it to be done.  I wish I could leave the hospital and do something "normal" but unfortunately that is not an option.  Andrew has been working long days lately during spray season and it is starting to take a toll on me.  This past Friday I called him and told him that he would be in Sioux Falls by noon on Saturday.  I needed him to spend some time with me rather than arriving at midnight and leaving on Sunday.  Truthfully, I didn't care if he lost his job as long as he made it up.  Once again - God must have known that I really did need him with me.  Andrew's boss, Randy, let him off early on Friday afternoon and told him he should spend the weekend with me.  Andrew didn't even have to ask to leave early.  I was THRILLED!!  That is a whole day before I expected him!

Although I love the weekends - I also hate them.  I love to have Andrew join me and take me for walks outside but I dread Sunday nights.  I hate having him go and lately I find myself crying as he leaves.  I am not trying to make him feel guilty but it is just hard to watch him go through the sky walk and then drive out of the parking garage.  Quite frankly, it is getting harder to see anyone leave after they come for a visit.

I am sick of being a patient.  The nurses do an excellent job of giving me space but they still have to do their job too.  I look forward to the comfort of my own home when I am all alone and I know no one is going to be checking on me to get a temperature or blood pressure reading.  I am sick of having my blood taken.  I am not a fan of needles and I have had over 20 blood draws over the last couple of months.  I swear my arms are going to be scarred for life.  I even refused the blood draw on Monday.  My white blood cells have been great all along and they have always said I would spike a fever as well if an infection occurred.  I did finally give in but we are going to do it once a week now instead of once every four days.

I am also trying to keep my sanity.  The last few days the hospital has had construction workers on the roofs.  They are doing roof repair.  While it is fun to look out the window and have someone to watch - I am sick of the noise!  They are sucking up the rocks that cover the roof with a metal vacuum like device and it goes into a metal holding truck.  So imagine hearing rocks moving around against metal ALL day long.  I have tried turning up my headphones, turning up the TV, and ignoring it but nothing works.  This has been going on for two days straight.  I finally told the nurse that I was going into the waiting room area away from my room and the construction.  I needed to get away from the noise and vibration just to think straight.  Here are a few pictures to give you a better idea of what I am trying to say.








Please continue to pray for Andrew and I as we wait for delivery day.  We want to do whatever is best for our baby but days like yesterday make the time go by very slowly.  But we continue to give thanks for the progress we have made and be thankful that today is a new day.  Even better - they are done with the roof repair!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment