Thursday, August 11, 2011

Friends: Far & Wide

When one is facing a trial in their life we expect our family to walk beside us.  We NEED their support and guidance to help us through difficult times.  What we may not expect is that same dedication and thoughtfulness from friends.  Andrew and I have been so blessed by everyone around us.  We have heard from people that we may not have been in touch with for a while, friends who are always in our life, and friends that are far away.  Here are just a few stand out examples that have touched us recently.....

* My high school English teacher from Pella, Mr. Blankespoor and his wife came to visit me at Sanford Hospital.  I got to know both of them fairly well in high school since I was involved in many speech competitions.  Mr. Blankespoor and his wife were in charge of the speech department so we were able to practice and travel to various competitions together.  I always appreciated the time and effort he dedicated to his students in the classroom and in speech but I never expected him to visit me now.  Our conversation did not seem like seven years had passed since I sat in his classroom.  Thank you for making my day and showing what a great man you are and how deeply you cared about your students - then and now.

* When you are going through a difficult time it is nice to know someone else is walking a similar path.  You can relate to each other and fully understand what the other one is going through.  It gives you the opportunity to ask questions and build each other up if one experiences a set back.  Although we would never wish difficult times on you - Joel & Sarah Bruxvoort - it was a blessing to walk with you on your journey while we were enduring ours.  I have known Joel and Sarah for many years.  Growing up my family would vacation with Joel's family and I would go for play dates a few miles down the gravel road to Sarah's house in Oskaloosa.  I never would have thought that God would bring us back together in this way but yet I wouldn't change it.  Their daughter Abigail was born at 24 weeks weighing in under two pounds.  Two weeks after we visited them at Avera hospital in Sioux Falls I ended up on bed rest when my water broke.  Sarah lived in Sioux Falls to be with Abigail while Joel traveled back in forth between their hometown of Pella, Iowa to work and Sioux Falls to visit on the weekends.  Unfortunately, we were not at the same hospital but I was so thankful that I could ask her questions about having a premature baby and we could vent together about hospital things that we could both understand.  Thank you for support, visits, phone calls, and for walking beside us in Sioux Falls.  Praise the Lord that you get to love and raise your precious miracle, Abby.

* No words will ever be enough to thank our close group of friends.  You visited us frequently, let our family stay at your house, & helped me pass the time when Andrew was crop dusting.  You brought in food for me and/or Andrew but you wouldn't take anything in return.  A true friend shows you how much they care and you guys went way beyond anything we could have asked.  I was in the hospital for eight weeks and every Tuesday at least one of our friends would stop and bring food.  I have to say a special thanks to Lisa DeStigter who visited me every Tuesday I was in the hospital.  You set up my haircut with your sister and you continued to visit in the NICU.  We will never be able to tell you how much you all mean to us but maybe one day the opportunity will arise and we can show you a true friend in return.

* If this baby was going to survive we knew a lengthy hospital stay was going to be necessary.  Many other people had thought of this as well and were sending books, movies, word puzzles, candy, or anything else that might help me pass the time.  One day, I was surprised to get a care package from a close friend from high school.  Mandy Klyn(Van Woerkom) and I had been really close in high school, reconnected for a short time on the Chicago Semester program, and then have not spoken in a while.  Not that either one of us doesn't care about the other one - life just happens and time gets away from you.  She sent various items along with cute little tags as to why she chose that item.  The one that I was not expecting was a cross stitch  quilt pattern with all of the necessary supplies.  I have never cross stitched in my life and was wondering how & when I would tackle this project.  Little did I know this would become a life saver.  Because of you Mandy - I never opened a single book during my entire stay at Sanford Hospital.  A nurse saw it in my stash of things, came into my room when she had some spare time, and showed me how to start.  I stitched away ALL the time.  I stitched for the three hours that I was monitored every day, when I was watching TV, or when Andrew was taking a nap on Sundays.  It was the perfect way to pass time for me.  It was challenging because I tried to keep it as neat as possible and use the least amount of thread possible.  It had a purpose because it will be an awesome keep sake for me and Makinley.  And it became a talking point - all of the nurses would come in on their next shift and ask how far I was on the blanket.  Thank you for sending such an awesome piece.  I am sorry that it took a situation like this for us to reconnect but I am glad that we can still pick up where we left off!

We thank ALL of you for praying for us and taking action to make sure we have everything we need.  We are so happy to have a great support system for us during this lengthy journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment