Saturday, October 8, 2011

Baby Shower Hosted by Our Family



 
Due to the complications with Makinley's pregnancy my sisters were not able to throw me a baby shower until after her arrival.  The first weekend in October, Andrew and I travled to Oskaloosa for a baby shower and to enjoy spending some time with family during the harvest season.  My grandma Fynaardt willingly opened up her home yet again and on Saturday morning I celebrated Makinley's arrival with family and friends.  We enjoyed a breakfast/brunch including french toast, mini crescent rolls, meat & cheese platter, fruit, and a cold slush/punch.  Since Makinley was still in the NICU, Deann created a nice slide show of pictures that people could watch while they were eating. 

We followed breakfast with games that Dee had so cleverly planned.  While I was on bed rest I quite frequently made phone calls to relatives at all hours of the day.  So the first game put my multi-tasking skills to the test.  We were challenged to hold Annie the cabbage doll, talk on the cell phone, and hang clothes up on the clothes line - all at the same time!  I posted one picture of the various people who tried.  I thought it was very interesting to see how the tactic/strategy changed as the game progressed!


 
Makenzie was brave enough to go first.  She needed both hands to pin the clothes and opted to hold Annie between her legs.  I was volunteered to go second.  I was ready to show off my multi-tasking skills. I ended up placing 2nd behind my sister Jenna.

Jeanetta was the first person to think outside of the box. 
She placed all of the clothes pins on the line first and then went back to put the clothes on.

My mom also tried something different to hopefully get the best time.
She draped all of the clothes over first and then placed the clothes pin over top of them.

Grandma Fynaardt definitely knew how to handle the clothes pins the best. 
She placed them in her mouth to free up her hands. 
We also allowed her to use a regular phone since that was more her era than a cell phone :)

And the winner of our game was Jenna.  I think she benefited from going last. 
She tucked Annie in her shirt so she was hands free and then used mom's idea of draping the clothes and following with a clothes pin.  This strategy worked better for her than mom since she had both hands to move more quickly.  Good job Jenna :)
 

The next game we played revolved around the Price is Right.  I had my TV options memorized while I was on bed rest and from 10 am - 11 am I always watched the Price is Right.  Deann bought various items and we had to guess the price.  After we guessed all of the items, we added up our total, and the person closest to the real total was the winner.  Obviously my Price is Right watching paid off because I was the winner of this game!  I have to admit that the decorative basket saved me.  I guessed it was way under what the actual price was so that helped even my over bids of everything else she had purchased!  The last game we played ironically revolved around treats.  I guess it is no secret to my family and friends how much I like sweets if they both used this game at our baby shower!  The game was titled "Makinley - How SWEET She Is" which required us to match candy bar names to a phrase.  As much as I liked sweets - I did not do very well at this game :(




Lastly, I opened all of the various gifts that friends and family so generously gave us.  I also used this opportunity to take a picture with Mandy and my progress on the cross stitch project she gave to me while on bed rest. 


Family Guests along with a picture of Makinley since she couldn't physically be present. 
Front Row L to R: Shannon Vos, Cyndi Fynaardt, Deann DeGroot, Jenna Fynaardt, Amanda VandeVoort, Michelle Van Maanen, Makenzie Van Maanen
Back Row L to R: Autumn Vos, Kim Vos, Pearl Vos, Me, Rachel Fynaardt, Barb Vande Voorst


Friends at the Shower: 
Mandy Klyn, Brittany Dieleman, Jeanetta Nieuwsma holding daughter Lydia, Me, Victoria Plate, Amy Holmquist, and Jana Van Zante holding daughter Alexa.


No comments:

Post a Comment